In an effort to better understand the region I work in, I’ve been searching online news sources for articles about the area. Here’s a compilation of the more interesting:
- Iraqis wary of the calm before a storm
- Oil-rich Amara left high and dry
- Election campaign takes shape in Basra
- Iraq offers up giant oilfields to foreign firms
- Our Army failed its test in Iraq
This also seems like the place to provide some basic information. My team is assigned to and responsible for the Maysan province, in support of the 1st Battalion, 9th Cavalry (Recon) “Head Hunters” (1-9 CAV) which is a component of the 4th Brigade Combat Team, 1st Cavalry Division (Wikipedia) (4-1 CAV). Alpha company of the 445 Civil Affairs Battalion (A/445 CA BN) was assigned to support the 4-1 CAV. Luck of the draw got Team RONIN assigned to the 1-9 CAV.
That should provide a slightly clearer picture of where I am and who I work for.